My Richard Armitage fanblogging dilemma

Soon, my preciousssss!
[Source: Fabolaktuko's blog]
Have I been too quiet about Richard Armitage these past couple of months or so? I think I have. Of the things that drive traffic to this blog, Richard Armitage is one of the biggest, and here I am, writing virtually nothing about him. It's just not right, is it?

There's a reason for it, though. Actually, there are a few, probably, such as the boring "there are only so many hours in the day and I have to prioritise writing reviews as this is kind of meant to be a review blog" and it was probably a couple of months ago or so that I decided I was going to try writing a review a day, Monday to Friday, which meant less flexibility with other posts. Sort of. (I've told myself I'm at liberty to write whatever I like outside of one review a day, so it's not as if I suddenly have to stop writing posts that aren't reviews.)

No, I've found the biggest reason for not posting about Richard Armitage as soon as something new to come up to be something else completely.

Because I follow a load of RA fanblogs and tend to get news through them and so on, by the time I've gone through them all, it feels as if the topic's done already. Like the Beard. Everyone was writing with their opinions of it and by the time I was at the stage to comment on it, it felt redundant. What was there to say that hadn't already been said by everyone else? At least several of which I had posted comments on? What then is the point of me writing yet another "OMG, look at that BEARD! And that's something which I find surprisingly, unbelievably SUPER HOT!" post?

So not the beard I'm talking about. [Source: Nat's blog]

And it's been similar topics since that have popped up. Voice of reason would say that it doesn't matter if "everyone" has written about it, because hey, "everyone" hasn't necessarily read about it. We all have different followers, different readership. Need to tell myself that "my" readers don't necessarily hang out on the exact same blogs that I do, and surely I should not "deprive" them (man that sounds wrong) of a topic they might not otherwise come across? But at the same time, if you're reading one RA fanblog, odds are you're reading a few. (My voice of reason is very good at, umm, telling me to stfu. This tends to get me down, and sometimes that affects me more, sometimes less.) Basically, what I mean is, I should just write about it if I want to and not worry about it. If people want to read it, they can, and if they don't, they won't.

The most recent case of finding a piece of news and feeling like "ooh, I should write about this!" was today, actually, but I was at work, and got distracted. RA's comments about being in The Hobbit - saying that the sword was "bloody heavy". Aww. :)

I've also been thinking that I really ought to write more about RA, because it's a subject dear to my heart, and also, a lot of people like to read about him ... which then gets me frustrated because I don't want to feel like I'm blogging specifically to suit people. Is it not meant to be something I do because I enjoy it and writing about what I'd like to read about?

"It's what's expected" is one of the ugliest phrases I know, and it always puts me in full on rebel mode. It's "expected" to wear white when you graduate in Sweden - I went "the hell with that!" and bought a dark blue dress. Mum got me to wear a white shawl with it in the end, but still, I did wear dark blue dress. Another time, there was a talk about what sort of cake I wanted on my birthday and when I said "why do we need a cake?" - of course "because people expect a cake" - it had me replying "well then, people should stop expecting so bloody much - I don't particularly like cake and isn't it supposed to be my birthday we're celebrating?"

I realise it probably makes me sound like an arrogant prick, but I have a thing for challenging conventions and I hate when we're supposed to do things without question just because society expects it. Stop to ask WHY every once in a while, for goodness sake. Even if it's something as silly and minor as expecting to munch on a piece of cake on someone else's birthday - why is that an expectation in the first place? "Because that's how it is, that's how it works"? Ugh, you don't have to go far down that path to realise what a quagmire that can be. (Today, I heard someone say Down's Syndrome was a result of inbreeding, and after resisting the urge to introduce my head to the desk repeatedly, pointed out that no, that's not how it works.)

Anyway.

Point is (getting there eventually), I want to write about RA because I want to, not because I feel as if I owe it to someone, that "people expect it" or anything along those lines. It'll make me run screaming in the other direction. Or, as has already been shown, make me clam up about the subject completely. I appreciate that a bunch of the followers I have are following because of when I write about RA rather than all the other stuff, and paradoxically, it makes me feel like I want to write about RA once in a while and that I "should", but I don't want to be a crowd-pleaser for the sake of it. This is not meant to be a pure RA blog anyway, as I've mentioned before, it's technically a general entertainment blog which happens to be a little snowed in on Richard Armitage and Jane Eyre, but it's not supposed to be an RA blog (or a JE blog, for that matter). Can't please everyone anyway, that's the problem! :)

I babble, as usual. Time to go to bed. If you've read all the way to here, I salute you, and will reward your tenacity accordingly. Love you! :)

"Well, hell-ooo."

Comments

  1. Heh. Just noticed this is my 105th Richard Armitage-tagged post. So yeah. Must mean I mention him every now and then, right? :B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read to the end.. Does that mean I get cake? LOL

    I so know where you are coming from and sorry for being one of those writing incessantly about him. I don't have much imagination apparently.

    Actually, I keep thinking I won't have anything to say anymore in a day or two and will have to close down the blog. Somehow though, something always wants to spill out - even if a lot of the time it's not great prose or editorial or anything.

    All that to say, I come by every day whether I leave a comment. I love your blog, with or without RA. Keep doing what you love and who cares what everyone is doing or if anyone is reading..right? OK, so I care if someone is reading my stuff and they comment because it keeps the conversation going but that's just me. I serve cake at birthday parties too :D My rebellion manifests more like : speak truth to power (at work, that's not always served my career well, but I stayed true to my ethics and that counted for more).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Traxy,

    I think you should blog about what you want to and what you are interested in, whether it's about RA or not. You have interesting things to say and I love your blog because I'm interested in movies too, not just about RA (though I love him too!).

    Just because several bloggers posted about "the beard" doesn't mean that what you have to say about it is not unique, or about the article today when he mentioned The Hobbit, because what you have to say is unique and special.

    That's what I try to do, blog about what interests me, and one of those things is RA! (OK, I only have 10 followers so maybe I'm not the best example! But I'm especially grateful and love them all!). But anyway, I do it for the fun of it and to share with anyone out there who may share my interest in something, even if it's just one other person halfway around the world.

    So keep doing what you're doing, and by the way, I would love to know what you thought about RA's interview today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calexora: Yes it does! The best part of cyber cakes is that they're the best cakes ever AND they're completely calorie-free! :D

    Don't apologise for writing about RA - I love reading your blog. (I need to figure out what to write as a birthday message for your book project!) :) Your words are very encouraging and I thank you for your comment.

    Speaking truth to power - yup, so do I. Oh, which reminds me of a thing I was going to do actually. Great, now I can get around to doing it.

    Musa: Thank you for your encouragement and your comment, it means a lot. :) You're absolutely right, and that's what I need to get in my head that yeah, so what if other people have already discussed it? It's a free world, doesn't mean I can't!

    You have to start somewhere, and you have ten followers already! How brilliant is that? :D That's ten people who have said they'd like to be notified when you post something next time. Can't believe I've now reached 65, but I'm incredibly grateful for each and every one of them. :)

    RA's interview, I do want to write something about it ... I think. Just need to get some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must confess that I really enjoy reading your blog. I agree with what Musa said here. Write what you're interested.
    I'm your reader, and it doesn't matter whether you write about RA (although, admit that he was the main reason why I started reading your blog ;-) ), or on other subjects. You do it so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Traxy!
    I like your blog with or without RA:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ania & Joanna: Thanks for your comments and your support. And for reading too, of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I write about and research professionally a topic that has been studied for half a millennium, so please believe me when I say I understand the structure of the problem. I'll say to you what was said to me, and what I have said to a decade of graduate students: yes, people may have written a dissertation about your topic, but no one but YOU can write YOUR dissertation. Your perspective will always be valuable. Writing about something can be a way to develop a perspective.

    Anyway, I'm one of the people who follows you because of Armitage, and you shouldn't feel pressured to write, but I always look forward to reading what you have to say about him, even if I get to it a few days late :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. With apologies for threadnapping, another thing that I wanted to have said: blogging is a sort of time-delimited genre. That happens both from the nature of the subject (some subjects can't sustain discussions over years) and from the perspective of the blogger. I hope you haven't said everything you have to say about Richard Armitage but blogs are ephemeral. Most of the blogs I was following in 2006 when I started reading them have either folded or changed substantially. If what's important to you about the activity inter alia is the critical perspective, the engagement with the cultural world and so on, then you do have to move on to other topics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so understand what you are saying! And I did feel a bit like I was stealing an idea when I did a post like yours and Musa's about the numerology comparison with RA and myself. But we did all have something different to say, so I didn't worry too much about it.
    I was also one who started coming to your blog for RA posts but I do also read on comment on many of your other topics. I am very interested in your reviews but also your Swedish background and your lifestyle viewpoints.
    Keep it up, write whatever you feel like writing! Another post about beards is fine by me! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV