Upcoming Jane Eyre-related novels

One of the blogs I follow, because it's a brilliant place to get updates on anything to do with the Brontës or their works, is the BrontëBlog. They don't just post about upcoming movie or TV adaptations, they also tell you about things like books about the Brontës, new editions of their books and - crucially when you've set yourself the nigh impossible task of reading everything to do with Jane Eyre - upcoming novels by modern authors who have done their takes on the classical story.

Today, I spotted a few upcoming novels and on closer inspection, they are all to do with Jane Eyre, yay! Here's a chronological rundown:

The Truth About Jane Eyre by Beth Pattillo (winter 2011)

Seeing as how Beth Pattillo has written books such as Jane Austen Ruined My Life and Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart, might this book possibly be something along the lines of those? There is no info about this particular book yet, but as soon as I hear anything, I'll let you know!

The Hierophant by Michael Shilling (2011?)

The only info I can find is this, from his publisher's website:

He is currently working on a novel that takes place in England during the late 1820s, a drama that he describes, roughly, as Jane Eyre meets The Wire.

If you're currently looking like it's the most ridiculous idea ever, settle down, there's also an interview with him there, where he goes into more detail:

I’m writing a novel set at the crossroads of Regency and Victorian England — the late 1820s — involving some of the characters and incidents from Jane Eyre and set at Thornfield Hall, but existing in a completely different narrative context with a whole new cast of strivers, connivers, grotesques, and romantics. I am trying to combine the dark fairy-tale fabulism of Angela Carter with the plot driven, hard- boiled push- and- shove of James Ellroy, all the while keeping in mind British class dynamics to create, as Ellroy called it, a reckless verisimilitude. The beauty of a story like this is connecting the desires and motivations of all the characters — from the lowest scullery maid to Rochester himself — while keeping the plot organic and fluid. It’s a large undertaking, but I like a challenge. If I go down in flames, at least it’ll be in a blaze of glory.

It can go two ways, I'd say. Very good, or very bad. I'm hoping it won't be the latter. Kudos for being a bloke - the vast majority of the Jane Eyre-inspired books are written by women. Jasper Fforde a notable (and oh so agreeable) exception.

A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont (April 2012)

Eva Marie Mont's take on Jane Eyre will be for young adults (YA), and it will be the first in a trilogy. The concept behind it (I need to check if it's okay to share and if it is, will update this post) actually sounds really intriguing and I can't wait to read it! Fingers crossed that it'll be great, because I'd love to read the sequels too.

Ironskin by Tina Connolly (Early 2012)

Ever thought there was not enough steampunk in Jane Eyre? Fret no more! Tina Connolly will set you straight with this re-working, and there will even be a sequel out in 2013.

Jane Eliot wears an iron mask.

It's the only way to contain the fey curse that scars her cheek. The Great War is five years gone, but its scattered victims remain -- the ironskin.

Now Jane returns to the war-torn country to help a fey-cursed child. Helping the unruly Dorie suppress her curse is hard enough -- she certainly didn't expect to fall for the girl's father, the enigmatic artist Mr. Rochart. But her blossoming crush is stifled by her own scars, and by his parade of women. Ugly women, who enter his closed studio -- and come out as beautiful as the fey.

Jane knows he cannot love her, just as she knows that she must wear iron for the rest of her life. But what if neither of these things are true? Step by step Jane must unlock the secrets of her new life -- and discover just how far she will go to become whole again.

Pick yourself off the floor, for goodness sake! Remember, there has already been a Jane Eyre in space (Jenna Starborn, which I've got but not read yet), so there's no reason there can't also be a steampunk version too. :P Again, this could be excellent, or it could go horribly wrong. Time will tell. (There should be a fantasy version too, I reckon. ... Oooh. *realises what she's just written and how it goes together with something she realised over a year ago that she wanted to read* Oh, well, now that's an idea. I call dibs!)

Comments

  1. Ooh, thanks for the kind words! Glad to see we are useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! You make Google Alerts for "Jane Eyre" completely redundant, because you're a better news source than that anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Squeee is my blogger dashboard - I read anything new by you, then check your "Bunch o Brilliant Bloggers" to see who has updated recently. I love the BronteBlog!!

    So this morning you've both mentioned Jasper Fforde's Eyre Affair, and I see you've read it, but ?no review? and no plans for a review? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read The Eyre Affair before I started this blog, that's why I've not reviewed it. I need to re-read it though, and then I'll write a review. :) Partially need to re-read it because it's brilliant (and because I've not reviewed it yet) and partially because after I read it, I went and bought all the other Thursday Next books, and I need to re-read it to be clued up on the world so that I can read the next ones in the series - and get the new book that's just come out!

    To keep up with blogs, I use Google Reader. Everything in one place, making it so much easier to keep up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traxy are you intending to read Jane eyre's husband by Tara Bradley? It only just came out at the end of february so i dont know how good it will be but the initial reviews, although llimited, were all very positive, its supposed to examine rochesters entire life from childhood to i think after the events in Jane eyre it's rather long and apparently well written although there were only four reviews so far on amazon they re all five stars. I'm gonna start reading it this week when ii have the time :) the only supplement to Jane eyre i have read is Jane Rochester by Bennett and I enjoyed it although I thought it was a little lacking in areas but it stayed true to the characters. I was looking for a good one for rochesters perspective but the Rochester book seems far too sexual in a way completely detached from the books original message for me to enjoy. The reviews all said this book is faithful the the rochester in Jane eyre ie no wide sargasso sea rochester and no complete whore Rochester and jane from the the book Rochester so I think you would enjoy it since from your blogs I think we have a similar perspective on how Rochester should be portrayed and im very excited to read this book, that is, as soon as I'm done with my task at hand of rereading the original Jane eyre, which i can confirm now, never gets old! But yeah idk if you have an iPhone or kindle or whatnot (I'm not very certain on the availability of those in the uk as I'm from the us myself) but the book is available for download off amazon if you want to take a look

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed I am! I only heard about it yesterday, from a post on the BrontëBlog and went straight to Amazon and got it for my Kindle (yup, we get them here in the UK too! :) Got mine just before Xmas last year). Started reading it during my lunch break and would've wanted that lunchbreak to last a whole lot longer than it did! I've got as far as he's just been weaned off the wetnurse, so he's only a small boy, but so far I love it. It feels very much like the Rochester Brontë wrote about, and the Rochester I imagine.

    You're absolutely right about Rochester. While it was a book I devoured and could hardly put down, the over-sexualised-for-the-original thing did rather spoil it. And it started out so well! So I'm really hoping this book will keep the story out of his breeches a bit more (and far away from what's underneath Jane's corset at least until they're legally wed), and from the reviews and comments I've seen so far, it will. Fingers crossed. Feel free to let me know how you get on with it! :) *looks at clock to see when lunch is due*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course A Breath of Eyre is going to be great because Eve Marie Mont is a hell of an author and knows what she is doing. I had the chance to see and buy some of her books in Argentina when I travelled there. I was staying in one of those Buenos Aires apartments near the biggest book store in the World: "El Ateneo". It used to be a theatre and now it has become the greatest bookstore of all times. You should go sometime if you like texts!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV