A celebration of the chunkier man

There is a lot about having to look slim for the camera and all that, but actually, my preferred man is one that has a bit of meat on him. Not too skinny, not too muscly, not too morbidly obese, but you know, a happy medium. Richard Armitage isn't too muscly, for instance. However, with there being a lot of skinny blokes out there, I feel we should also recognise that there are a number of heavier blokes out there who also deserve some appreciation for their looks (they're already getting kudos for their talents), but a lot of the time might get over-looked because of their size. So here are a few that have it goin' on, and who definitely aren't stick insects! :)

In no particular order, aside from alphabetical:




Brendan Coyle. Just ... wow, seriously. Whether he's Mr. Higgins in North & South or Mr. Bates in Downton Abbey, he's got my vote, my sympathy, love and undivided attention. I was going to go for a photo of him as Higgins, but found this and sort of lost all coherent thought. And only partially due to the cravat! HOT DANG!!




Daragh O'Malley. The guy in Sharpe who isn't Sean Bean, and who has a smouldering Irish accent. Bring it on!




Greg Grunberg - you know, Matt Parkman in Heroes. Mohinder and Isaac might be gorgeous, but Matt just ... wow. You've been a bad boy, officer, go to my room!



Jim Howick. What's not to love? He's funny, he's a good singer, and he can carry off both cravats, uniforms and togas with equal panache!





John Thomson. From catchphrases in The Fast Show to the lovable Pete in Cold Feet, John Thomson is the one we keep remembering as ... "Nice". ;)




Meatloaf. Saw a documentary about him, and he's still very good-looking, but looking at pictures of him from the 1970s, I realised that wow, he was seriously good-looking back then and he still ain't bad! Oh, and he can sing too!




Nick Frost. Who cares about that skinny Simon Pegg when his guy's about? Always did love a man with a sense of humour!




Orson Welles. Enough to make you swoon back in the 40s when he wasn't exactly Slim Jim either, but dang, he had it going on!




William Petersen, or Gil Grissom of CSI fame. Not so much of a heavyweight according to the pictures, but surely he's not on one of those fad diets?



Happy Valentine's Day to the lot of ya's, talented and gorgeous men of which there is plenty to love! (Or at least used to be, as the guy is no longer amongst the living.)

Honorary mentions:

  • James Corden: I just don't fancy him, sorry. :P Bit sick of the sight of him, actually, because it's like he's ON EVERY SHOW IN THE UK.
  • Ken Olin: The reason he hasn't made it on the list is because he lost weight between seasons two and three of Brothers & Sisters. And he got a haircut I didn't approve of (much preferred S2). But wow, S2 David Caplan makes my heart run away just a tiny li'l bit.
  • Peter Jackson: He lost weight too, so he no longer counts. Good looking man, though!
  • Sean Murray: Why do all these people suddenly decide to go all healthy and stuff?! McGeek's still cute, though.

This list will be updated whenever I can think of more. Have I missed someone who really ought to be here? (Bet I have!) Drop me a comment and I'll have a look-see and update the list as need be. :D

Comments

  1. Sean Murray on NCSI should be on the "shame on you"-list. He was totally eyecandy and now he... just isn't. Horrible actually.

    I'm sorry if he is sick or something and that's why he lost so much weight but if he isn't... well SHAME ON HIM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh thanks! I love McGee on NCIS! (Then again, I also love Gibbs and DiNozzo ... and the girls ... and Ducky!) But yeah, he's lost quite a bit too. I wouldn't put him on a shame list, though, because after all, being overweight isn't exactly healthy! :P I'm not trying to lose my surplus 8 stone just to be able to fit into smaller clothes, after all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list! What about Daragh O'Malley from Sharpe's Rifles etc? When he first appears, there's a very appealing shot of his tummy. And it's not just that anyone would look healthy standing next to Tongue and Hagman. He's definitely been drinking too much "best brandy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nan: Ohh yeah! Thanks! Have added him, and Nick Frost, who I'm currently watching on Top Gear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daragh O'Malley. oh yeah. he almost made me forget Seanie Beanie baby..
    as for McWeightloss - he's never been my favourite, at times even annoyed me, but his skinny little NewMe is totally irritating.
    and I'm missing Brendan Coyle :) his Higgie baby was 2nd only to JT. then again, almost everyone is 2nd to MR. A :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @TTN: OH MY GODS!!! I can't believe I forgot Brendan Coyle!!! O.O That's just ... inexcusable! He should be top of the list, regardless of alphabetical order! (Even though he would be first according to that anyway.) I LOVE him! Kudos for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It might not be totally obvious from my current preferences, but I'm actually a fan of 5'8" and solid as a male body type. Armitage is an exception for me. Under normal circumstances I'd go much more for Brendan Coyle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @servetus: RA being an exception, yes, I agree. Then again, if I said that "tall, dark, handsome" men weren't my type, I'd be lying! My reaction on seeing RA in Spooks originally was "meh, too skinny, he's better-looking in Robin Hood". And that was Before Fandom! Re-watching s7 again, I am definitely not dismissive of his looks, just that I still prefer his physical side in other roles, where there's more meat on his bones, but his mental side - oh, that's just smashing regardless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Traxy,
    Joe and I were discussing Sense and Sensibility 95 and I reminded him that Alan Rickman was in it. He said "Ooooh, Alan Rickman!" (The "oooh" was for acting but I teased him anyway.) After pouting he said, "I should have said, ooooh Kate Winslet. Now there's one woman who doesn't care about her weight!" Some day can you please do a Celebration of the Curvier Woman?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Nan: Absolutely! :) Being a curvier woman meself, I am delighted every time I see a woman on screen who isn't a size 0! If you have any more suggestions on who should go on that list, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV