Let's talk about books!

Was going through Marvin (the desktop computer) to find some files, and came across this, which I believe was posted on Facebook a couple of years ago or so. So not necessarily very up-to-date, but anyway. Here goes:

1) What author do you own the most books by?
Technically, Carolyn Keene, but on the other hand, they’re not all mine and besides, they’re all at my parents’. Seriously though, we’ve got probably 100+ Nancy Drew books! Sheer number of books aside from that … Bengt Linder. My collection of books about Dante and Tvärsan is almost complete. :D

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
Hmm. I’ve got a few doubles of Jane Austen books now, as I decided to get a new batch from the same series (Wordsworth Classics) to make it look nice and consistent.

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
Prepo-what-a? :P



4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre, but that’s not really a secret – it’s kind of public knowledge? I just need to actually read North and South to probably fall for Mr. Thornton as well, although the TV series from 2004 is making a pretty good job of it so far. Then there’s Mr. Darcy, I suppose, although he’s falling further down the list since Rochester knocked him off the top spot.

2010 EDIT: Yah, I have read N&S now. Thornton, swoon.

5) What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children; i.e., Goodnight Moon does not count)?
I’ve been reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman once annually for a few years now, so that’s probably the one. Only read the first Harry Potter books four times, I think.

6) What was your favourite book when you were ten years old?
Don’t think I had a particular one, I just read a lot. It was probably around then I was in my Nancy Drew phase, though … or possibly Agaton Sax.

7) What is the worst book you've read in the past year?
But I’ve not even read Twilight yet! :P I found Edgar Cayce on Atlantis to be quite wooden (even though it gave me a major Eureka!-moment) and I’m having some trouble getting through The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

2010 EDIT: Read Twilight! And I still haven't managed to finish the Dawkins book ...

8) What is the best book you've read in the past year?
Considering the most books I’ve had to read in the past year have been course books – meh? I finished Jane Eyre last year, though. Charlotte Brontë goes on and on and on like a NaNoWriMo writer in November, but oh the characters! <3 Hah, maybe I should say Good Omens? ;) OH! The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde! It was brilliant in all its quirkiness!

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
Aside from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams? Why not The Great Phone Directory of the Earth and neighbouring planets (Jupiter not included) by Gianluca Neri, right here on Facebook? It’s very Adamsey and it’s BRILLIANT! And I invited everyone on my friend list to read it. :)

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?
Someone whose books actually get read by real people.

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
Good Omens, The Eyre Affair (see how they solve those grammar-eating worms!) … the story of Merulafisk … :look Not to mention the whole Wheel of Time saga as a great big TV-series, as it’s too big to work as films.

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
Even if I knew, it’s probably already been made.

13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
I’ve had some Hogwarts-related dreams … one where there were sharks in the lake that were really into strawberries or something?

14) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?
Let’s face it, Bengt Linder’s books aren’t exactly highbrow … ;) Still very amusing, though.

15) What is the most difficult book you've ever read?
The Lord of the Rings books were incredibly boring – still not read the third one. Like I said earlier, The God Delusion is not an easy read. Never been into biology.

2010 EDIT: Yah, Dawkins is still high on that list.

16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen?
Never seen one. Seen a couple of films but neither Much Ado About Nothing or Twelfth Night are obscure, really.

2010 EDIT: Do the ShakespeaRetold episodes count?

17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
I had Doctor Zhivago and War and Peace in my bookshelf to feel smart for a while. Never read them. Only saw Zhivago because Sam Neill was in it. I DID read an abridged version of The Three Musketeers though!

18) Roth or Updike?
Not acquainted with either.

19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
Same here.

20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Shakespeare is the only one whose works I think I’ve actually encountered.

21) Austen or Eliot?
Duuh, Austen?

2010 EDIT: No, Brontë. Hah!

22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
Truckload of fantasy books, as well as other Jane Austen books than S&S and P&P. Leffe remedied my not having read Sagan om Isfolket by Margit Sandemo by giving me the first two for Christmas. Will be reading them in the summer, is the plan. She got me into reading romance novels though. Mills & Boon Historical! Squee!

23) What is your favourite novel?
Hitchhiker’s Guide series, Good Omens, the Wheel of Time

24) Play?
Not seen enough of them to know. I’ve seen a few musicals?

2010 EDIT: Play.com, obviously. ;)

25) Poem?
I don’t do poetry. So why the hell did I get DH Lawrence’s collected poems? Beats me. Seriously.

26) Essay?
It’s enough I’ve had to bloody write them for school!

27) Short story?
I haven’t got a clue, so I’ll opt for Young Zaphod Plays it Safe by Douglas Adams.

2010 EDIT: Hey, DH Lawrence has written a number of them that I rather enjoyed.

28) Work of nonfiction?
PMH Atwater’s Beyond the Indigo Children was very interesting. There are others, for sure, but that’s the only one I remember just now.

29) Who is your favourite writer?
Douglas Adams, Robert Jordan and JK Rowling.

30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
If I’m allowed a dead one, JRR Tolkien. If not, Stephenie Meyer.

31) What is your desert island book?
I’m sure Jane and Rochester could make me forget my surroundings.

32) And... what are you reading right now?
Finished Mysteries of Atlantis Revisited by Edgar Evans Cayce, Gail Cayce Schwartzer and Douglas G Richards earlier today. Besides that, a book my mum in law said I should read, which is about the Law of Attraction, published in the 1950s – half a century before The Secret! Oh yes, and of course, I’ve still got a few chapters left to go of my social psychology coursebook…>_<

2010 EDIT:  Or check my reading list.

Comments

  1. JK Rowling is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you, Traxy!! I think Tolkein is fairly boring and overrated as well. (ducks). LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tolkien is just so melodramatic, I can't read stuff aloud without wanting to hold an arm out dramatically and saying things in a Very Dramatic Voice: "BEHOLD, THE BEACONS OF GONDOR!" (or whatever the heck they're called). Yeuch. Then there's all of that blasted singing as well. No, I much preferred the movies, I have to admit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV