Ciarán Hinds as Aberforth Dumbledore

I was googling to find a picture of Ciarán Hinds as Aberforth Dumbledore. Found this:

Has a thing for goats. Hence the goatee? Har har.

THAT'S Ciarán Hinds?! But but but ... it looks nothing like him? Hard to judge by just the one picture. Maybe it will be clearer in the actual film itself. But still, looking at that photo, it really looks like someone else?

THIS on the other hand:


Yup, that's definitely him.

Oooh one of the Mr. Rochesters with a wand. I could swoon for less!

Either way, I can't wait for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 to come out. While waiting, I really should be working on the review of Part 1, so I can gush over how brilliant it was. Yes. But first, sleep.

EDIT: Bright and early (and very cold) morning, and a good night's sleep later, I've realised where the confusion lies. Aberforth Dumbledore, the character, is only shown in Part 1 as an eye glimpsed through the mirror Sirius Black gave Harry Potter. Harry thinks it's Albus Dumbledore he sees. The character as such isn't going to be featured until Part 2, where he plays a small but significant role as the innkeeper of the Hog's Head in Hogsmeade.

However.

We've seen the Hog's Head before. That's where Dumbledore's Army convened the first time, in Order of the Phoenix (HP5). Hence, we've also seen Aberforth Dumbledore before, even though at the time, we didn't know it was him. And as he never had a part bigger than that of a barkeep in a seedy pub, there's no need to have him played by a big name. In fact, looking at the cast list of HP5, there's just a "Barman" played by Jim McManus - I believe that's him. But as we in retrospect know that the barman of the Hog's Head is actually Aberforth, all the fansites have the character Aberforth Dumblefore down with screenshots from HP5, and once the final film has been out, no doubt the pictures will be replaced with HP7:2 screenshots instead.

So the first picture is of course not Ciarán Hinds - it's Jim McManus. Sorted! :)

Comments

  1. that first one didn't look like him at all. They made him look bad.And that would be mighty hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    The first picture is definitely NOT Ciarán Hinds, the second one comes from Deathly Hallows part I. If you do not want to bother to watch the entire movie, you can see his only scene on his fansite.
    Best regards.
    SG

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cautionary: Exactly! He's a handsome fellow and the bottom picture, yup, he's still striking!

    @Sylvie: Aberforth isn't in DH:P1 at all (unless you count the quick glimpse of an eye), but he will play a small but highly significant role in DH:P2. I wonder who the guy is, if it's not CH, as that's what comes up when you google Aberforth Dumbledore. Ohh, I know what it is! An edit to the post is due! :) Thanks for clarifying that it really isn't CH. The comment about not bothering to watch the whole movie I didn't see or I'm afraid I should have to blow up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first pic is Jim McManus who played Aberforth Dumbledore in HP and the Order of the Phoenix.

    The second one is from the 'Behind the Scenes' for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1. I agree Ciarán as Aberforth isn't in part one of Deathly Hallows, but they had this picture in the front credits.

    But in the end we know how he will look like in part 2 of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, what did you think of Ciaran Hinds in the movie then? I hadn't read this post first so didn't know he'd be in it. And I squeeled out loud "That's Ciaran Hinds!" while I was watching HP7.2. I think others around me thought I was crazy. To me, he will always be Captain Wentworth. I've exclaimed "That's Ciaran Hinds" two other times before. Once while I was walking in Paris, we shared a sidewalk, he was going in the opposite direction. I think he must of heard me exclaim his name :D (And he was much shorter in person than I expected!). The second time, I went with a friend to attend a talk by a Canadian mystery writer we like - Louise Penny. And she was talking about the screen adaptation of her books. She asked the audience for suggestions for the main character - Inspector Gamache. She then started sharing who she thought should play him and gave us a clue...I screamed, from the back row, Ciaran Hinds! I think I was the only one who understood the hint. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bettina: Thanks for clearing that up! :)

    calexora: Think I'm still digesting the fact that I've seen the movie, that's why I haven't written the review yet. ;) I thought he was great - just a shame we didn't get to see more of him. Love the bit about the mystery writer. Can just picture your back row delight! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV