It's all in the hair...

Last updated: 10 June 2010

Here's an observation. It's all about the hair! Sometimes, you see someone who's gorgeous and then they do something with their hair and all of a sudden they aren't. Or they have such great hair that they're just a bit "oooh". Is it the hair or is it the characters that are being played? It's the hair. Before I had joined the ranks of the Armitage Army, I saw a bit of Spooks 7 with Richard Armitage and thought "meh, prefer him as Gisborne". All in the hair, because I wasn't looking at more than his physical appearance at the time (the re-watch after the fan turning made me look more closely and appreciate the actual character, beyond the looks). Gisborne has decidedly more hair, and I prefer RA with more hair. Like this:

Cute. But too short. Makes him look like Daniel Radcliffe!

Yes, yes, yes, YES!!
*fans herself with the laptop*

So let's have a look at some others that spring to mind...

Toby Stephens: Meh. - Oh hullo. - Squeeee! *dies*

Craig Parker: Cute - vs - Oh. My. Effing. Gods!!
(I've been meaning to make a post about Legend of the Seeker...)

Ken Olin: Awight. - *swoon*
Ah heck, who am I kidding? He's gorgeous either way!

Billy Zane is known to shave his hair off between roles, and while he has a lovely head
and an even lovelier smile (and incredible eyes), I prefer him with hair.

Tom Hanks. Run, Forrest! - Box of chocolates.

Ted Whittall: Handsome - Wow.
(And that's like the ONLY picture of him in Tin Man
I can find! That's just plain rude. Ahamo's a dish!)

Not saying guys with short or no hair are less attractive. Two words: Bruce Willis.
I'm just saying some hairstyles really work, and some really don't.
Here's one that really doesn't do it for me:

Luke Goss: "Dude, what the hell?! I look like a girl!" - "You need a cold shower, lady. In my room."
(To be fair, I loved his long hair as Prince Nuada, but as King Xerxes, it's just wrong.)

Here's another one, where about ten years also played its part... and my ageism is another post altogether!

Thomas Anders: Long 80s hair, nein danke. Short 90s/00s hair, bitte bitte bitte sehr!

Or there is no "before and after" pictures, just "I love your hair, man!" Here are a couple:

TV presenter Jonathan Ross and food critic Matt Preston.
I quite like Wossy anyway, but with a different haircut, perhaps less so?
Preston could do with losing a few stone, which would make him look
less toadlike (no offense!) and that would add the appeal he's now lacking
(even if he does seem to wear a cravat-like attire),
but with that hair, he definitely has some potential!

And it's not just the men, to be fair!

While I think she'd still be a remarkably beautiful woman even if she was bald...
I do very much prefer Morena Baccarin with long hair. I just think it suits her better.

Or sometimes, it's all about the hair colour:
Gillian Anderson, Rachel Hurd-Wood and Karen Gillan.
Their hair colours, no matter how natural they are or not, I LOVE THEM!

Okay, so from the above, one would perhaps draw the conclusion I like dark hair on men and red hair on women. True dat, I do. Been wanting red hair since the days of the X-Files! With guys - tall, dark, handsome, you know! Don't mind other hair colours either - I'm married to a guy with beautiful, auburn hair. ;)

I might add more as I think of them. (EDIT 24/4/2010): Just have. See above! :D) It's getting late and I'm rather knackered so my brain has crawled to a halt... and looking up pictures of drop dead gorgeous blokes doesn't exactly help! ;)

And if you didn't like the picspam, go take a Period Drama Cravat Quiz instead. I got 11 out of 20. Luckily, I got both the North and South and Jane Eyre 2006 ones. Anything else would've been unbelievably embarassing, considering certain obsessions of which you'll all be aware by now... ;) The quiz is something I came across while googling for pictures for this post. Good Google. Have a biscuit. *pats on head*

Comments

  1. Lovely post! In the picture of ginger (?) haired Paul you don't like, we can see Richard's hair real colour . We "forgive" him for dyeing it black, don't we? His dark hair makes him so much more gorgeous.
    BTW, I did the test, great one. I only got 60% right. 12 out of 20!
    It was not easy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hair does make the difference. I liked RA's long hair as Guy and Craig Parker's long hair in the Seeker. I am a long hair girl...cant help it....it is the native in me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that a too short haircut isn't as flattering as his flowing locks, but I still like his hair in Ultimate Force, just not as much as in Spooks or Strikeback. Must be the combination of the darker hair plus the longer locks that is so devastatingly gorgeous!
    As an aside...I have noticed a huge difference in the looks of Canadian power ballad singer Celine Dion between hair cuts. I always thought she was pretty gorgeous (like a fairy queen) until she cut her hair very short way back when...and she looked RIDICULOUS! Really bad -- from fairy queen to strange elflike creature!
    Sorry, had to get that off my chest, but I hope she runs away from scissors from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have an issue with the length of RA's hair in that first picture, but the color does not suit. The bottom left pic...I'm stealing it! Holy Cow, the hotness therein!

    That middle pic of Toby is actually my desktop picture...I don't know if it's the little smile or the fact that he's got a great neck (I love a guy with a great neck!) but it's definitely worth appreciating. And by 'appreciating' I mean 'Ogling'.

    I took that Cravat quiz, I don't think I did as well as you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Post updated! :)

    Maria: Thank you! :) I wouldn't class Paul as ginger, more like a lighter brown hair, and I know it's his real colour. I don't mind the colour, I just prefer his hair to be slightly longer. ;) It would be interesting to see what he'd look like. But yes - totally forgive him for dying it! It suits him really well.

    Avalon: Guy of Gisborne and Darken Rahl... what a team they'd make... wow, that's a show I'd pay to watch!

    phylly3: Haven't thought about Céline Dion but looking at pictures of her now, I agree with you. Longer hair is definitely a better look for her!

    Bee: The lighter colour is actually his natural hair colour funnily enough. ;) But I agree, black suits him much better. And you'll be wanting to ogle this photo. ;) I like the middle one of Toby Stephens. It's a nice photo, he looks great... and reminds me a lot of my hubby. Similar colouring and stuff - but they don't look anything like each other really. *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me it's all about the colour, although I do favor RH3 long locks.
    Perhaps we have to thank the stylist who suggested for him to go dark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I'm not the only one who gets distracted by a hairstyle! Sometimes I feel so shallow for allowing someone's bad haircut to put me off their performance. For instance, I haven't yet seen Impressionists due to 'bad' hair of RA but do plan on seeing it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charleybrown: Well, we can all be a bit shallow sometimes! I remember when I was saying how I normally don't like Tom Hanks, but I enjoyed him in the DaVinci Code - and responded that she thought he's a great actor. My response was "erm, well, I was being shallow and talking about his looks rather than his performance" - because I don't fancy him normally, but I kinda did in that film because I loved his hair! (And now I have to update the post again! ;)) "The Impressionists" also sports that infamous Squirrel Beard! I've got the DVD but haven't got around to watching it yet. Will do at some point, and hopefully the hair (or beard!) won't be too distracting. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV