STOP THE PRESSES!! :D

I got my Amazon package today, and wow, I never knew Amazon sold drugs, but by golly, Amazon can be my pusher any day! In fact, they have been for years, but today in particular. Happy happy happy!!

So it's been established that I'm a fangirl when it comes to Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester in particular... well, the package had two contents. The first one being the book Rochester by J.L. Niemann, which apparently started its life on a forum somewhere online, says the introduction. The thing is, it's not just Jane Eyre from Rochester's perspective, it's book one in a trilogy. If the other two books are 325 pages too, we're talking nearly 1000 pages of smouldering hot Rochester!



The author is clearly inspired by the 2006 adaptation and after having read the first chapter and a half on Amazon, I decided it was a book I had to read. I'm on page 75 now and have great problems putting it down. She (I'll hazard a guess that "J.L." is a woman) has captured Rochester very well - I approve! There are some issues with it, though, but I'll go more into that when I've finished it and will post a review. Bits are really hot and passionate, but for me, the timing's off compared with the original story, and feels oddly out of place.

Okay, as I can feel a rant mode coming on, I'll move swiftly along to the second part of the box. When we were in London, we walked past the Australia Shop, and while it was closed at the time, I had a peek inside and saw something that very nearly floored me. It said "The complete first season". It was a DVD box. It also said "The Flying Doctors". Coming home, looking it up online, I found out that all nine seasons had been released in the UK! So, season one was swiftly ordered.

Why is this so remarkable? Because I've been waiting for the show to be released on DVD ever since I started buying TV shows on DVD, and I got the six-episode miniseries from Australia once because it was the only thing that had been released. The wait is finally over! My favouritest TV show in the world ever!!! If they released Time Trax and the other three seasons of Poltergeist: The Legacy, I'll be overjoyed, but nothing like this.

I got hooked on the Aussie docs when I was nine or something like that, and some years later, I had a little fanclub and made a little fanzine (handwritten on paper, copied by hand) to the three other members or however many it was (two or three friends and one of my sisters). I ended up resenting Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman (a show I had previously rather liked) because it replaced the show in the TV schedules (the concept of seasons hadn't quite registered with me), and it was really like a drug, because yes, I'd get withdrawal symptoms and really bad cravings. Hence the drug reference at the start. Watching the miniseries some years ago just made me want to watch the show again, and the proper show, not "the bit they did first to see if it would work".

Oh, I completely forgot to mention that I wrote my own episode to it when I was about 13, which was turned into a class project in 8th grade - with little or no budget whatsoever, we filmed it: at school, at a local pizzeria, inside a plane in a hanger at Säve airport, inside an old grade two-listed building, outside... Dad's transferred it from video to DVD for me, so if I can stand the humiliation, I might put it on YouTube. No one properly knew how to film, direct or edit (this was before video editing software)... not to mention act, and with a bunch of 14-year-old Swedes, the English spoken isn't... isn't very good. But still, we had fun doing it, and it was a change from the normal school routine. I think the story was the best thing (not that I'm biased or anything *cough*), even though it certainly had it's problems.

Anyway. I'm drugged up for a bit now. Plenty of Rochester in a saucy novel and lots of magnificent Aussie doctors saving the day in the Outback with their amazing flying machine. SQUEEEEEE!!!!!

Comments

  1. Oooo! Amazon IS like a drug. I got MY package today TOO!!!
    I am Squeeing about my own copy of Spooks season 7, Robin Hood Season 3, and The Impressionists! Also 2 books, The Sunne in Splendour and Wives and Daughters!!!
    O frabjous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely addicted to Amazon too. That Rochester book sounds intriguing...I anxiously await your full review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "good" kind of drug, lol, just like RA...(the addiction)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @phylly3: Oh yay, lots of great stuff! You'll have a fun-filled weekend by the sounds of it! :D

    @Ruth: I'm about 1/3 into the book and I'm beginning to find more and more things grating. Still enjoying it overall though. :)

    @Avalon: Oh definitely! I wouldn't touch any of the bad drugs with a bargepole! Why would you when you can get perfectly natural highs from a good book or a good DVD? :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV