The good news and the bad news

The good news is that Blogger has finally come back. Hooray! On Wednesday, there was supposed to be a one-hour downtime due to some maintenance work, but something went awry and the system was really buggy. I could post things as normal yesterday, and the only thing I struggled with was trying to get the system to save the edits I had made to the New Moon review. And for some reason, it wouldn't save it, it just eventually said "you're about to leave this page, are you sure you want to do that?" which then lead to "page not responding".

In the evening, when the Squeeze was clicking on a link on Facebook to see a blog post, it wasn't there. And on closer inspection this morning, as it turns out, Blogger had switched off the Blogger Dashboard access and reverted to a backup done before their maintenance work, which meant every post and every comment made until that time were temporarily gone. At the moment, the posts I was missing have returned, and the comments hopefully will be back at some point. Just glad it's back now. Business as usual! [More info about the downtime and its causes here]

The BAD news is that US TV network ABC have brought out their big network axe to prune their schedules. These shows have been confirmed as CANCELLED:



  • Better With You
  • Brothers & Sisters
  • Detroit 1-8-7
  • Mr. Sunshine
  • No Ordinary Family
  • Off the Map
  • V

Admittedly, I've never heard of half of them, and I didn't exactly follow V, but what upsets me are No Ordinary Family and Brothers & Sisters.



No Ordinary Family is currently showing on Watch on Tuesday evenings here in the UK for the past few ... well, months by now, and this household has been following it eagerly. If you haven't heard about it, it's about a perfectly ordinary family who go on a trip to South America, have a plane crash in the jungle and when they get back home, they have what would appear to be superpowers. It's brilliant! It's a bit like X-Men and Heroes, but without being comic book superheroes or ... starting out as one of the most exciting and well-made shows ever and then take a big old nosedive into the mud. No, No Ordinary Heroes was excellent. And it only got, what, one series? Disappointed. Oh and there's a guy in there who sort of reminds me of Richard Armitage, except ... without the things that make us love him. Which means if Richard Armitage played the part, oooh, wonderful! :)

But what really takes the proverbial is cancelling Brothers & Sisters. Apparently this has come as a surprise to a lot of people, and the topic is currently trending on Twitter, which is how I came across it. [Read the article on IMDb here]


Some shows I'll nerd about completely, and some I'll watch here and there. Others I enjoy and follow but without being as nerdy about them. This is one such show. I remember seeing trailers for series one on TV, but never got around to watching it. Then, later on, discovered Ken Olin had been a guest star in three episodes of series two, which meant I had to see those, and when series two was repeated on TV, I decided to watch it from the beginning. And as it turned out, it was a really good show.

Can't say that I can relate to any of the characters, really, but I enjoy the crazy Walker family dynamics and also how they're tied in with Holly and Rebecca - and David (Olin), who came back in series three and has stayed since. Not in every episode, but enough to keep me happy.

And, as it also turned out, my mother-in-law is a fan of the show too! Oh, she's going to be disappointed when I break the news to her. :(

I was behind in my watching, as I had only seen the first eight episodes of series four (a year ago?) and the fifth and now final series is currently showing on More4 in the UK. So, as I had time off over Easter and then also ended up staying at home a couple of days being ill, I got through the rest of series four, and after the final episode, I had to watch 5.1 just to cheer myself up and see what happened, as series four ends in tears. I just had to make sure they were okay before I could stop watching! I hope series five won't have an ending like that!

Just sad to see them all go. They've become friends, of sorts. I wonder what the actors will get up to next. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV