Pottermore is go!

Remember back in June, when the news about Pottermore broke? Well, yesterday, 31 July 2011, the site opened for beta testing. Or maybe I should say beta registration? Everyone wanted in on the action, so the site promptly went down - actually, it went down before midnight the day before! And when the site was back up again ... every available account had been snatched. Moo. :(

Every day for a week, there will be a chance to get a login, though! You need to keep your eyes peeled on the Pottermore website, because once the clue of the day is up, you're competing against a hoard of others who are trying to do the same and there is only a set number of accounts they have available each day, and once that quota is filled up, you're on your own. Even if you've managed to get the clue.


Today, the clue was in which chapter of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets professor McGonagall banned the quidditch match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. Time that number by 42 (good choice), and put it as http://quill.pottermore.com/number. Had a friend help me out as I was in the office and didn't have the book with me. Chapter 14. 14 x 42 = 588. Put it in, and she said on the page that came up, I would have to locate the Magic Quill - which was a simple task. Click the quill, fill in the forms. Yay!

So now I have a Pottermore login. :) The only thing that made me go "aww, WHAT?!" is that you're not allowed to pick your own username. It's to protect your anonymity and for child protection reasons. Huh. Well, my anonymity is not terribly well-hidden anyway, really, and I'm 29, so I don't need protection. I can see how it might (big emphasis on MIGHT) protect the kiddies, though, because everyone have the same sort of Mary-Sue n00b-sounding usernames.

My options, I kid you not, were these:

  • PotionRune200
  • GlowWalnut120
  • IceWild198
  • NifflerFelicis205
  • ShadowHolly207

Gods I hate usernames with numbers in them. (I don't mind OTHERS having them, I'm just allergic to having a number myself, even if that number is 42 ... or 53) Of those ones, my reasoning was that I wanted the name of a wood type, being a wandmaker and all, so that rules out all except two. Seeing as I was born in the Celtic tree month of holly, and ShadowHolly sounds marginally less atrocious than GlowWalnut, I went with the holly option. I'm now ShadowHolly207. *extends a hand* Pleased to meet you. (Nyah nyah nyah to the anonymity nannying.)

New chance tomorrow, when the question will be on something related to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, like "how many times would Traxy want to sneak off to the Shrieking Shack with Professor Lupin?" ... Okay, except perhaps not that question. ;)

This is what it looked like in the shop.
I should photo mine for comparison.

Also, I received my A2 canvas print of the first glimpse of Hogwarts this morning. 'Twas a birthday present to myself. It's quite dark and not really detailed because of it, and they haven't stretched the canvas very well. But that's what you get from buying unofficial stuff from eBay shops, I guess. Still, it's a big picture of Hogwarts that I now need to think where best to put it. :)

Comments

  1. WELCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME ALL OF YOU TO HOGWARTS. :D

    Haha, you should have seen my choices. They all sucked so much, I ended up choosing BatBludger28. And I also hate numbers in usernames, makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why hello there, ShadowHolly207. (And BatBludger28.) I am jealous... I want a Pottermore login! Even if it's something dumb like PumpkinJuice1005897. I'll have to keep an eye out... Mad Eye style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're SO lucky!!! I check every day (multiple times a day), but registration is apparently set up as a UK thing... the open hours are usually like 4 AM here on the East Coast :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. mimz: BatBludger sounds like something Batman would use, so it's bordering on cool. ;)

    Nat: Keep an eye out. :) As of yet, we can't get in anyway, because they're not letting everyone in at once, so even if you're registered and have verified your account, all you can do is stare at a screen saying you'll get an email when you'll be let in. And who knows when that will be? It'll open officially in a couple of months anyway, so not long to wait, fortunately. :)

    VABookworm87: Yeah and they get snapped up really quickly too. :/

    Incidentally, earlier on today, I had an email come through about how I had requested a password change. Either someone else has "ShadowHolly" but with a different number, or someone was trying to break into my account. o.O How rude. Luckily, it just said "if you haven't requested it, just ignore this".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I be RuneQuill51. It sounded the most ravenclaw-y one.

    Except I was disappointed that when I logged in - there was still nothing there! Just an "About" page. WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, yesterday, I got an email with the subject "Congratulations!" and I though "OMG OMG OMG I have finally got access!!" (as they're letting accounts in a few at a time) ... and it was just a message saying they'll start letting people in between mid-August to end of September. Considering it opens officially in October, it's a bit pants if you get access Sept. 30th and it opens Oct. 1st. So much for being a beta tester. :/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV