The top reason to watch Season of the Witch

There's this trailer running on TV at the moment, about a new movie that's out, called Season of the Witch.

A 14th century Crusader returns to a homeland devastated by the Black Plague. A beleaguered church, deeming sorcery the culprit of the plague, commands the two knights to transport an accused witch to a remote abbey, where monks will perform a ritual in hopes of ending the pestilence. A priest, a grieving knight, a disgraced itinerant and a headstrong youth who can only dream of becoming a knight join a mission troubled by mythically hostile wilderness and fierce contention over the fate of the girl. When the embattled party arrives at the abbey, a horrific discovery jeopardises the knight's pledge to ensure the girl fair treatment, and pits them against an inexplicably powerful and destructive force.

Momentum Pictures, you had me at "accused witch" and "14th century". :) But that's not what ran through my head when I saw the trailer. Look at the poster and see if you can figure it out:


It's like The Sorcerer's Apprentice all over again! Nicolas Cage with That Hair! That's got to be worth a watch, especially with witches and 14th century and co-starring Ron Perlman and Christopher Lee. It all adds up. But oh, Cagey, keep the hair, would ya? Pleeeease? Don't listen to Collider, who think it looks silly and fake and all that.





But we probably won't see it until it comes out on DVD. But then at least it's something to look forward to.

Comments

  1. Evanna (from SH)9 January 2011 at 00:50

    Robert Sheehan is in it too, I think, and he's awesome in Misfits (which I love), so there's another reason for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay.. not the world's biggest fan of Nicky (dig the hair and costume though :) but as you said - witch, crusader, 14th century .. count me in. thanks for the alert, might have passed me by in the current chaos. I've been watching lots of medieval films and series lately and will keep my eyes peeled for German start date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - I've just ogled the GINORMOUS production stills http://www.celebritywonder.com/movie/2010_Season_of_the_Witch_photos.html... and feel a bout of manipulations coming on.
    The photography looks excellent.. and Nicky bears more than a fleeting resemblance with S3 Guy.. can't wait now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a shame that Cagey Nick lost most of my respect over the years: Loved him in 'Moonstruck' & 'Rasing Arizona' but after his spousal abuse cases & financial fiascos, Nick fast became as unpopular as Mel "Open-Mouth-Insert-Foot" Gibson for many.

    For me the last straw was him starring in that abysmally misogynistic & totally unecessary remake of 'The Wicker Man.' As a Pagan & a feminist, I found this waste of a remake doubly offensive & just plain ugly. Cage lost my movie vote from then on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evanna: :D

    TeeTotallyNot: Anything resembling S3 Guy sounds like a winner in my view! :D

    MaidMelee: Not heard much about Cage at all, more than that he likes his superhero comics and named his son Kal-El. Spousal abuse is not cool. Oh, maybe because the abuse case was from April of this year, but apparently the charges were dropped. With The Wicker Man, I saw enough (most of?) the original, and thought it was offensive to Pagans. Think there was a petition floating around the internet about the re-make just for that reason, actually. Seem to remember signing it. Such a blatant mis-portrayal of a faith! Don't even know what to liken it to with one of the Abrahamic religions. Bah! Maybe, if I come across it on TV at some point, I'll watch it just to be able to shoot it down in a review. :]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV