Lost Sean Connery period drama resurfaces

"Da shvedanya, Mish Karenina ...
The name'sh Wronski, count Wronski.
And you do have a lishenshe to shwoon."

For the love of all things ancient – look at what cropped up on BBC News today! An adaptation of Leo Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina has been re-discovered in the BBC archives and will be released on DVD in September. First broadcast in early November 1961, the Russian drama featured a young Sean Connery and Claire Bloom – who starred together in Bond flick Dr. No a year later apparently. No cravat on the picture, but Sean Connery in a uniform – oooh.

Source: Sean Connery BBC period drama rediscovered

Comments

  1. How fun! Looking forward to the chance to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard that Connery had played Count Vronsky. I would enjoy seeing this. I have always admired Claire Bloom too.
    I saw the adaptation with Sean Bean last night. It was very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see that. My first taste of russian literature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only classic Russian literature I've been exposed to is Dr. Zhivago, and that was in the miniseries remake from 2002(?)... and that was only because of Sam Neill playing Victor Komarovsky - but oh, he does it so well. Creepy yet dashingly delicious git! <3

    @Phylly: Oooh, magic word: Sean Bean! :D (Guessing his Russian count sounded a lot like he was from Sheffield? *giggle*) I've begun watching Crusoe and it's nice how they've matched up adult Crusoe and Bean (Crusoe's dad), because they do look similar, so you can believe they're father and son! Just a shame the DVD cover boasts both Sean Bean and Sam Neill - and so far, the series has only had very brief encounters with either actor - flashbacks from Crusoe's childhood. But it's about 4-5 discs in total and I've only seen the first one so far, so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV