Who's your ideal literary hero?

Stalking the TV channel Yesterday's website in order to find out if/when they're going to show The Glass Virgin. They always seem to be showing Catherine Cookson adaptations, after all. (Wondering why you should see it? Brendan Coyle à la 1995. "OMG" doesn't quite cover it.)

Also, I see now that he played Michael Collins in a 2001 miniseries called Rebel Heart. Brendan Coyle with an Irish accent playing Michael Collins - this is almost too good to be true! And it is, sort of. The bloody thing isn't available on DVD! HOW RUDE!! (You can get a used VHS from £25 but that's a bit much.) Ohh, although it's on YouTube. Hooray! That's my evening sorted! :D

Erm, anyway, before I digressed, I came across a test: Who's your ideal literary hero? Can't resist a challenge like that!

Here's what mine said:

Your closest match is Richard Sharpe

Aren’t most men such pushovers? Well, you clearly think so – as your ideal man is rough, ready and up for adventure. You’re not out for perfection – you want someone unpredictable, sometimes arrogant, sometimes sweet, but always exciting. And that’s why you need Richard Sharpe, the swashbuckling Napoleonic hero dreamt up by Bernard Cornwell. He’ll shoot your ex, plonk you on his horse and ride off into the sunset – though he might not wash as often as you’d like.


Weeeell ... Sharpe ain't exactly an eyesore, and Richard's a good name. ;)

(I'm going to sulk if one of the other options were Mr. Rochester, though. But I don't know, it doesn't say what the other options are!)

The test is here: Yesterday: Who's your ideal literary hero? Let us know how you get on!

Comments

  1. I got Daniel Deronda... Not my type in literature, but ok in real life. A bit on the soft side though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you already know how I feel about Richard Sharpe. Excellent that you matched up with him. Despite my choosing the "man in uniform" option I also got the "thoughtful and charming" or some such Daniel Deronda. I retook the quiz several times and 2 other possibilities were Mr. Darcy (UGH) and Heathcliff (UGH UGH).

    I think you should design a similar quiz and have the possible heroes be: EFR, of course, Capt Wentworth, John Thornton, Nicholas Higgins, etc., that way everyone is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh. I expected Darcy and Heathcliff, so that makes sense. Have no idea about Deronda personally (yet).

    Thoughtful and charming sounds nice. Not sure if "unpredictable" is someone I'd be up for in real life. ;)

    A big quiz with lots of options would be great, but it would take some time to try to think of all the characters to add!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got Daniel Deronda! This is cracking me up because I haven't watched the film in ages but my mom was just asking me about it yesterday -- he may not have a uniform but at least he looks like Hugh Dancy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got...
    wait for it...

    HEATHCLIFF.

    This is bad. Very, very bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Traxy!
    Who is Daniel Deronda?:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got Daniel Deronda as well. At least he's not Heathcliff... And well, he is rather sweet.Plus he looks (maybe) like Hugh Dancy.. What's not to like!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really know, to be honest. Wikipedia says he's from a book by that name by George Eliot, published in 1876.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm...I got Daniel Deronda, too. What, no John Thornton?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got Daniel Deronda. I hate Daniel Deronda. I'm going to this over and over until I get Sharpe or John Thornton... they must be in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharpe is definitely in there, but I don't think JT is. :(

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV