Suggestions for a scary SAMhain!

Oh, I really couldn't resist the temptation of that title.

Sam Neill has been in a few scary - or at least they're meant to be and probably are to some - things, so I thought it would be a good idea to come up with some suggestions for a Sam-tastic Halloween movie marathon, for those who are game! If you choose to watch any over the weekend, you'll have to report back what you thought of them - deal? :)

Horror both on earth and in space, weird and spooky events, evil beings ... He sure has done a lot of different things over the years, the horrifically bad ones omitted. After all, we're supposed to be scared by the events depicted, not by how bad the production is. ;)

In reverse chronological order:


Daybreakers (2009)

The vampires have taken over the world and farm humans for blood, except ... theyr'e starting to run out of humans. Sam is the head vampire of the blood factory. Read my review here »

Two Twisted (2006), episode Von Stauffenberg's Stamp

I haven't seen this one, so I can't actually say what it's about, but Wikipedia has this to say about it:

A genteel stamp trader, a docile barber, his rude alcoholic wife and a fabled stamp... will authentication lead to murder?

Oooh, murder mystery. Okay, perhaps not that scary judging by the description, but still.

The Triangle (2005)

In this excellent Syfy miniseries, a lot of very weird stuff happens. It's to do with the Bermuda Triangle and the Philadelphia Experiment. Darn watchable, if I dare say so. Let's do the time warp again!

Perfect Strangers (2003)

It's classed as a thriller ... but if you're a Sam Neill fan, it's more like your ultimate fantasy: to meet a handsome stranger in a bar, go with him to his boat, pass out, and then wake up the next morning out at sea, with him taking you to his cabin on a remote, deserted island. Where he wants you to stay with him forever. Sounds good to me, but the female lead disagrees!

Event Horizon (1997)

Classic scifi horror, with people like Laurence Fishburn, Jason Isaacs (really?! It needs a re-watch!) and Joely Richardson. Spaceship crew goes to discover a ship that went missing ... and now has reappeared. On board is lots of gore and nasty evilness. Rated 18, I believe.

Snow White: A Tale of Terror (1997)

In which the scariest part is either Sigourney Weaver as the wicked stepmom or the fact that the dwarves are all particularly non-dwarvish of stature.

In the Mouth of Madness (1994)

John Carpenter is well-known for his horror flicks, I believe, and in this one, the line between fact and fiction gets very, very blurry. Which isn't nice if the fiction bit happens to be written by a famous horror author ...

Dead Calm (1989)

Nicole Kidman plays Neill's wife and the couple have taken to travelling by boat to overcome the grief of losing a child. They come across Billy Zane, who claims his ship had some issues and oh gosh everything's awful ... but as it turns out, the awfulness all goes back to him. Intense suspense from the days where Kidman was still an Aussie with curly, red hair.

Possession (1981) or The Night the Screaming Stops

One where I've had the DVD for yonks without getting around to watching it. It's about demon possession, I think, and there's lots of blood and hysterics. Which might explain why I've never prioritised watching this one ...

The Final Conflict: Omen III (1981)

Remember the Omen trilogy? Scary boy child called Damien is the Antichrist? Part one is a classic. Part two (Damien: Omen II), about his teen years, largely forgotten. Part three (this 'un) has Damien all grown up and up to mischief. And who's your Antichrist? Yup, Mr. Neill. Although he's not so proud of being in this film nowadays, perhaps, but back then, he needed the money. I think we can forgive him - after all, he's the best thing about the film.

Comments

  1. I watched Dead Calm last night with a group of friends, and didn't think much of it - everyone laughed at parts which almost definitely weren't meant to be funny, and the whole thing seemed way too contrived and predictable. Maybe that's because I like a bit of mystery in my scary films. I liked the suspense aspect of it...but besides that I didn't really enjoy it much. According to Rotten Tomatoes it's pretty highly thought of, but I cannot concur!

    Addie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bit at the end with the flare gun has me giggling - and it's the BEST part of the film! - AND IT'S NOT EVEN INCLUDED ON MY DVD! :( Such a shame.

    I like Dead Calm as a film. At least I did last time I saw it. Man, it's been years since I last watched my Sam Neill collection. Must remedy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV