Today's my lucky day

Happy happy happy! Today, it's a year since I passed my driving test, and it's my birthday on Thursday, but right now, I'm happy happy happy because my IMDb message board note finally paid off. Someone responded - and had good news!  

Evolution's Child from 1999 is finally available on DVD! :D It's part of a 6-movie box set called The Ultimate Sci-Fi Movie Marathon (and has a seriously ugly cover) and if that friendly IMDb user hadn't told me, I would probably never have found out. But now I know! And have zoomed over to Amazon accordingly!

The films included on the three discs aaaare:

  1. Deep Red (1994)
  2. The Android Affair (1995)
  3. It Came from Outer Space II (1995)
  4. Night Visitors (1996)
  5. Evolution's Child (1999)
  6. Control Factor (2003)

The movies included are all B-movies, to be fair (then again, that Evolution's Child is one was never doubted), but I've been looking for this particular film on DVD ever since I caught bits of it on the Sci-Fi Channel. I even mentioned wanting it to the Squeeze, who went and found me the book it's based on, which was very sweet of him. :) Kind of missed the point, though, as I wanted the film because Ken Olin is in it. ;) It's the film which I saw bits of and thought "hey that doctor's handsome" and then "actually, make that very handsome ... and ... hey, he kind of reminds me of Eamonn ... hang on ... come to think of it ... OMG, he IS Eamonn, except for the accent! Ooooh, okay, you have my attention now. I'm totally watching this. Squeee!"

Who the hell is Eamonn? Well, he's a roleplaying character of mine. He teaches Mythology at Hogwarts and was concocted in my little fangirl brain in 2004 to be the perfect mix of Sam Neill and Thomas Anders. He'd be sweet and kind and handsome as both, tall and down-to-earth like Sam, dark and musical with a killer smile and mesmerising eyes like Thomas. And he'd be looking to be in his 40s and look strong (not muscular) and, you know, reassuring, somehow. Oh, and he's Irish. Basically, if you had said, "Traxy, describe the Perfect Man, in your view" - that's him. (In case anyone was wondering, the Squeeze and Eamonn are similar in soooo many ways, except in colouring, where he's more like Toby Stephens.) And as it turned out, when I actually started playing Eamonn, he's also a really good teacher. (Surprised myself there, actually. :)) Just as well he's fictional, or I'd be as head over heels with him as one of my student characters.

But anyway, I thought I'd never come across a person who'd match the description both physically and mentally, and then - as if by magic - I happened upon Ken Olin. Tall, dark, handsome, beautiful eyes, killer smile, down-to-earth, and - as I found out later - musical (he plays guitar and I bet he's a decent singer too) and he's been married to the same woman for about three months longer than I've been breathing (and I'm 28 in a couple of days) and they still seem very much in love with one another despite technically being a Hollywood couple and that shows the sort of dedication and stability you'd love to see in a partner. Haww. What's not to love?

~£20 is perhaps a hefty price to pay to get hold of ONE movie out of six, but hey, since when were bad sci-fi movies not worth watching if you're a geek? Plus, it's a great birthday present. :)

Comments

  1. Happy belated birthday!
    Mine is coming up at the end of this month too. Wow, I never knew you were a bit of a Sci-fi nerd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :)

    Well, I don't know if I cut it as a proper sci-fi nerd or not. I'm into Star Wars (the original stuff, thank you), but have never seen a lot of Star Trek. My "knowledge" of Star Trek comes mostly from pop culture references! Just a generic geek, me, I think. :) Also, I suppose, it depends on what you class as sci-fi. I never really thought of The X-Files as sci-fi, for instance, but some people do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ken Olin. 30 something? I loved that when it was on. When I was much less than 30 something myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, that's the one! :) He played Michael Steadman in that. Have seen very little of it.

    Nowadays, he's mostly working behind the camera. The most recent on-camera work is as Holly's beau in "Brothers & Sisters" (season 2 onwards). Erm, and yes, that was my motivation for starting to watch that show... *cough* Good show regardless, but yes, I do prefer the ones with him in. Still not watched all of the first season yet, actually. Nor have I watched more than the first eight episodes of the latest (s4). Bad me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV