Random acts of statistics again!

Back in the end of March this year, I posted some blog statistics, because I was supposed to be doing schoolwork and therefore made myself busy doing something completely different.

As it turned out, I figured my blog was about 1/5 about Richard Armitage. Now that I have 50 posts labelled "Richard Armitage" and 50 labelled "Jane Eyre", I'm curious to see what that does.

Okay, here's a nice picture of a graph:

How many times labels have been used, yo.

Now, I've used labels 706 times in total, separated over 329 different things (phew!), and 232 posts have been published. Of the ones used ten or more times, we have:

Jane Austen (10) - 4.31% of total posts have this label
Toby Stephens (10) - 4.31% too, of course
Emily Brontë (11) - 4.74%
Spooks (12) - 5.17%
Wuthering Heights (12) - 5.17% too, funny that ...
Strike Back (14) - 6.03%
Charlotte Brontë (18) - 7.76%

...then there's a minute, miniscule and minimal leap to:

Jane Eyre (50) - 21.55% (used to be 13%)
Richard Armitage (50) - also 21.55%

So basically, my blog is still 1/5 about Richard Armitage, and now also 1/5 about Jane Eyre - and 3/5 "other". Yeah, I know most WH posts also include the Emily Brontë label, and that all the Strike Back posts include RA. I'm ignoring that.

Also, 15.95% of the posts are about the Brontë sisters.

The thing that really makes me go ”wait ... what?!” is looking at Google Analytics. According to that, going from the previous template to the Blogger template was the best move I could ever do, because somehow, my blog is now vastly more interesting, according to the statistics. Seriously, the percentage changes are the sort of figures webmasters would sell their souls to achieve. I mean, it’s the same blog, the same posts, and looks pretty much the same as it did last week, but just one change of template and BAM! Webmaster Eldorado. Peculiar.

The past ten days, just to give an idea of what's happened.
Yes, I omitted actual numbers. No need to get competitive. :P
Just rest assured "Before" was very high and "After" very low.
(See Wikipedia's definition of what a bounce rate actually is.)


As a professional web developer/administrator/designer, I’m really intrigued. And not only that, I’m thinking, if you can get those kind of changes from just changing a blog template, what will changing the whole design of a website do? I know what updating how the layout is coded without changing the actual layout itself can work wonders for a site, which is also impressive and also as inexplicable. Anyway, the possibilities are endless.

And thank you all lovely people who visit this blog, whether you are new or a follower. You rock! :D

Comments

  1. That is cool! And so good to know since I'm not crazy about my template and may change it sometime soon. It's too static and utilitarian looking and bordering on cluttered. I just didn't want to mess with any of that when I first started running the blog.

    As to your original template, I liked it, but with the new one, I notice my eye knows where to go much more easily. Perhaps that's just me, but maybe that tidbit will give some insight into the statistics. Don't know but thought I would throw in my very humble two cents.

    Oh, and I'm so glad you still have a significant number of posts about RA and are on my Addict List. :D I love reading the others posts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avalon: Neat as in "tidy" or neat as in "swell!"? ;)

    RAFrenzy: Thank you so much!

    I think it's great that Blogger have implemented these new layout changes. I only changed templates originally because the ones Blogger provided were just a small and incredibly dull selection. Now, with the new Template Designer, you have lots more to choose from, so you can just pick a layout you like and if you don't like any of the background images, just make your own. It's a shame you can't upload it there, but have to put it somewhere else and then add a code snippet into "Customised CSS" or whatever it says, but I'd rather have that than not being able to choose my own background image at all! Also, I think those designs are made to be search-engine friendly, which the previous one obviously wasn't.

    What I really like is that you can select from a number of different layouts, so first you can pick a style that you like, and then you can select how you want it laid out. Having one AND two columns at the sime time on the right hand side is something the previous template desperately lacked. It's made it look a lot less cluttered (I hope), and like you say, easier to find your way around now. It all adds up, as they say. :)

    I'm definitely an Armitage Addict! Expecting the number of Richard Armitage labels to increase at a steady pace. ;) The rise in posts about Jane Eyre is a lot to do with having posted reviews of far too many radio adaptations and that sort of thing for the Brontë Challenge, so I don't think it's going to go up quite as much in the future, as the main thing to blog about will be the upcoming movie, and that doesn't have a lot of interesting news coming out about it. Just a lot of mentions of e.g. Sally Hawkins or Mia Wasikowska "who will be in the forthcoming Jane Eyre" and that sort of thing. Bo-ring! I want to see a picture of Rochester and THEN we're talking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV