Proof that drugs are bad!

Picking up a curry at the local takeaway tonight, I spotted a headline on the Daily Mail on the table: Taking the pill for past 40 years 'has put women off masculine men'. If ever there was a headline to catch my eye...!

It basically says that there might be a correlation between using contraceptive pills and finding more feminine-looking guys attractive. To proove a point, the article is illustrated with pics from different eras. Kirk (not Kurt) Douglas in the 50s, for instance - now, with regards to him and Donald Sutherland, I've always thought their sons were way better-looking, to be honest. It then moves on to Sean Connery and ends with Zac Efron now in the "naughties".

If the Pill would make me fancy Zac Efron... I ain't taking it! (Which I'm not and have no plans to, so there you go! The hormones in my body are all my own.)


Finding boy-looking men attractive is something I've noticed in society in general, and have pretty much always disagreed with. I like my men MANLY, you know, masculine. Men who are men. A bloke can be a proper man and still be gentle and caring and all around wonderful, while retaining their masculinity. It's the combination of the two that does it for me. The whole boyish look... never been into it, not even when I was a teenager. (Then again, we are talking about someone who had a crush on MacGyver when she was 8 and Sam Neill when she was 11 - not that I knew it was him at the time, but I've learned it since!) In Titanic, the whole crowd went fangirly over DiCaprio. Personally, I fancied Billy Zane. (If you need convincing: chesticles galore in The Phantom and OMG he's lovely as a demon in one of the last series' of Charmed! *melts* Oh, and then there's Dead Calm, of course, but he's a wee bit scary in that one, to say the least.)

The point I'm trying to make in a roundabout way is that okay, so I've never been one for boys, while men are a different story. I've never been on the Pill, so hey, maybe the research findings are spot on! Do you take the Pill or not and do you prefer your men boyish or manly?

Okay, the boy/man thing might have something to do with how many times I watched Dirty Dancing as a child - it set me up good and proper for liking age gap romances! The whole boyish look just doesn't suit my taste. (Peter-in-the-Narnia-films aside.) I swear to gods, watching Stardust, I thought Tristan was kinda cute, but his dad, WOAH! I mean, look:


Nathaniel Parker vs Charlie Cox. Man vs boy. Man wins!


Jonathan Rhys Myers vs Jeremy Northam in The Tudors... well... the-kid-who-shot-Michael-Collins vs Mr. Knightley? Do you even have to ask!? Oh yeah, The Tudors is a show that I only watched because of Sam, and since he wasn't returning for series two, neither was I - I just didn't like it. I could go on. Now I'm more on about younger men vs older rather than masculine ones vs feminine. Moving swiftly along...

Maybe in a few years, DiCaprio will start to look more appealing. Then again, he hasn't yet. I am starting to like Brad Pitt, though. I mean, I've always been able to see that they're both good-looking guys, even though they're not to my personal taste, but Brad's getting there. Johnny Depp is another one of those actors ladies have swooned over for quite some time now, but c'mon, it's seriously hard not to! There are other actors who haven't aged well as well, but that's for another day. As is age gap romances and Dirty Dancing. Oh, I didn't even mention Thomas Anders (a German singer, one of my main Squees). In the 1980s - cute boy. In the 1990s - gorgeous man. And yah, that's yet another post.

Gah, I'm confusing myself now. I'll take this cold-ridden jumble of a head of mine to bed and tell it to make more sense for the next post, whenever that may be. I've never been a very consistent blogger. ;)

(Edited for clarity. :P)

Comments

  1. Well TraXy... now you have to ask yourself if you are on the pill or not? If you are well... you have a point but if not then the article just proved it's point ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...And as my point wasn't "the article is WRONG!!" but rather "the article does have a point - fascinating!" I've edited it for clarity. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm! Interesting. Maybe this explains the RA fascination. It must be mostly middle-aged women or young woman who DON'T take the pill!! LOL
    Seriously, I have NEVER had such a crush before as now with RA, except a mild one on Pierce Brosnan, (bought season 1 & 2 of Remmington Steele). I haven't had anything close to a crush like this since I was 13! (Pre-pill days!!)
    You must be on to something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @phylly3: You're not kidding! I know the feeling all too well. Speaking of Pierce Brosnan - one of the two redeeming qualities of the otherwise horrid "Die Another Day" (the other being Toby Stephens). And woah does that man have a very hairy chest! (The surprisingly long and detailed chest hair discussion on one of the RA fanboards had me in stitches - never before have I had the smallest inclination of following a discussion about whether or not a guy has chest hair! :D)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV