BBC's Robin Hood, season 3

We saw season one when it came out. Had to see if it was any good. It wasn't all that great, but at least it's a heck of a lot better than the atrociousness known as Merlin (the BBC series, not the awesome American miniseries with Sam Neill from 1998, which I love dearly). Didn't see much of season two, but saw bits of it. Season three... wouldn't have been very interested in it if it wasn't for the fact that I found out that not only would Prince John make appearances, he would (more importantly) be played by Toby Stephens.

Two sides to this coin. Or actually, I list about five, so that's a well freaky coin as it happens, but I've had some Sheridan's liqueur so I'm excused.

1. Prince John! P.J.! From the Disney movie, I just love the character! Even more so in the Swedish dub, because he's not as much fun in the original English... strangely enough. Granted, PJ's definitely not the same in other versions, like Prince of Thieves or even The New Adventures of Robin Hood (it was an utterly awful show from the 1990s where the only reason I didn't claw my eyes out when watching it was the fact that Robin Hood was friggin' hawt! Seriously, search YouTube and have a look for yourself. Matthew Porretta isn't exactly hard to rest your eyes on...), if he was even in that, which I can't remember if he was or not, but because I love the Disney PJ, I'm looking forward to seeing what the Beeb will do with him.

2. Toby Stephens! I can't believe I haven't been blogging here (N.B. this refers to Notepad Narnia, where this blog post was imported from) since last September, but when I do, I'll make sure to rant on and on and on about Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester in particular. Now, Mr. Stephens (whose mum is Maggie "Professor McGonagall" Smith, btw - yay!) is a brilliant actor, so it'll be fun to watch just because of that.

3. Toby Stephens in period costume! a) Jane Eyre, b) The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, c) Twelfth Night, d) Custer's Last Stand, e) Sharpe's Challenge.

4. Toby Stephens as a villain! Two words: "Sharpe's" and "Challenge". Squee! Not to forget the fencing in Die Another Day as Gustav Graves... Yay!

5. Toby Stephens in a period costume playing the villainous Prince John in "Robin Hood". Woot!!

Sat myself down to watch episode one of season three, as IMDb has said he'd be in 13 episodes - i.e. all. He wasn't in the first one! PJ was mentioned a bunch of times, so I expected him to appear, but he didn't. On the other hand, I found the episode rather watchable. I actually enjoyed it, and will even watch next week's show voluntarily, PJ or not! I didn't really like Marion and now she's gone... well, I don't miss her, to be honest.

Apparently there seems to have been a big discussion amongst fans about Gisborne's new look for this season. All I have to say about that is: I approve! Seriously, I love the hair! Suits him much better than that mullet-looking thing he used to have. Also, Marian's death seems to have made him exceedingly ...well... angsty. I'm not sure if I like that or not, but OMG, how Snape does the guy look now?! Not the biggest fan of Snape as it happens (saw pics from HP6 and went "hey, he is kinda hot actually" which I've never really thought before) but season three Gisborne totally looks like a Snape, which in turn makes me think of my Snape/Rochester-merged character in SH... and that's always good. If he'd used a Belfast accent, crikey.

But yeah... The new season is looking good!

Comments

  1. It is very interesting Traxy to see that you weren't a fan of RA until Season 3?
    I just saw Ep.1 Season 3 the other day, and it really was exceptional!
    I did like the first 2 seasons and I did like Marian, but seriously, how much jerking around can a guy take?
    I won't read your review on the last ep. until I am done seeing it myself.
    Thanks for adding these posts to your Blog, they ARE very Squeeable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :D

    Well, I kinda fancied Gisborne earlier as well, but I wasn't glued to the screen every week and watching the show because of him... which I of course do now. I even managed to tear my eyes away from Spooks 7 when it was originally on - with a "meh, I prefer him as Gisborne" - shocking, I know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! First post about Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, newly awakened to his awesomeness! :D

    Although technically, this post was made before this blog was created. Didn't start this one until 22 (?) August that year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV