Jane Eyre '11 - poster AND trailer, double squeeee!!!

One is now ridiculously, deleriously happy. First, yesterday, the movie poster, but I was too caught up with other things (*cough* NaNoWriMo, basically *cough*) to have time to post. Now, the actual TRAILER for the upcoming Jane Eyre (2011) movie adaptation! Thanks to Ruth and Charleybrown for the heads up. I love you guys. You've made my day, week AND month, all at the same time. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

How come all Jane Eyres have the same hair style?

And I don't care if it's too wide for the layout, live with it, it's the one and only TRAILER:


First impressions, aside from if I wasn't in an office I'd be running around yelling gleefully at the top of my lungs, is that it looks a bit more like a ghost story than a romance. Very Gothic. Not a bad thing, mind, looks fantastic. And lookit Haddon Hall, it looks really creepy. The irony is that Thornfield in the book doesn't actually look creepy at all, it's described quite nicely:

The hall-door, which was half of glass, stood open; I stepped over the threshold. It was a fine autumn morning; the early sun shone serenely on embrowned groves and still green fields; advancing on to the lawn, I looked up and surveyed the front of the mansion. It was three storeys high, of proportions not vast, though considerable: a gentleman’s manor-house, not a nobleman’s seat: battlements round the top gave it a picturesque look. Its grey front stood out well from the background of a rookery, whose cawing tenants were now on the wing: they flew over the lawn and grounds to alight in a great meadow, from which these were separated by a sunk fence, and where an array of mighty old thorn trees, strong, knotty, and broad as oaks, at once explained the etymology of the mansion’s designation. Farther off were hills: not so lofty as those round Lowood, nor so craggy, nor so like barriers of separation from the living world; but yet quiet and lonely hills enough, and seeming to embrace Thornfield with a seclusion I had not expected to find existent so near the stirring locality of Millcote. A little hamlet, whose roofs were blent with trees, straggled up the side of one of these hills; the church of the district stood nearer Thornfield: its old tower-top looked over a knoll between the house and gates.

I was yet enjoying the calm prospect and pleasant fresh air, yet listening with delight to the cawing of the rooks, yet surveying the wide, hoary front of the hall, and thinking what a great place it was for one lonely little dame like Mrs. Fairfax to inhabit, when that lady appeared at the door.

Bit lengthy there (apologies - actually, no, sod it, no apologies; not my fault CB didn't know how to keep it brief!), but you know, I don't get the impression that it's a spooky mansion.

Brocklehurst - so fitting. Not quite looking like in the book perhaps, but yeah, definitely Brocklehurstian.

Blanche Ingram - my spontaneous thought was "dark hair, yay!" as there had been some general pouting around the net about casting yet another blonde actress as the woman with such a fine head of hair; raven-black and so becomingly arranged: a crown of thick plaits behind, and in front the longest, the glossiest curls Mrs. Fairfax ever saw.

Mia Wasikowska looks great as Jane, love the attitude. I think she'll be great. Wooh! And she actually looks like she really could be 18 which is such a nice change. You shouldn't skimp on that particular detail - the age gap is one of the things I love about the story.

Michael Fassbender as Rochester - mwahaaaaa, now, that's ... that's ... interesting. Jury's still out, I'm afraid. Doesn't mean that when I actually see the film, I won't just swoon and fancy the breeches off the man, but at the moment, I think I need to see the trailer a few more times before I make my mind up. Just me or did he not look that dark? At least they made Toby Stephens's hair dark in '06, because Rochester is meant to be dark. (Yes, Franco Zefferelli, I'm looking at you. Go back and study Chapter 13, especially the bit about "jetty eyebrows" and "black hair".)

Ahh I'll have to watch it again. And again. And obsess about it a few more times. And squee. A lot. Maybe I'll go outside at lunch and run around doing the aforementioned shouting, but at the same time ... that's time I can spend watching the trailer a few more times. For now, I'm sitting here with a silly smile on my face and I can't wait for March to come. Aaaaahhhh!!! <3

Comments

  1. LOL, glad I could help make your day, week, and month! :)

    I think Mia is going to be a fantastic Jane - she's appears to have the look & manner down!! Love it!

    As far as Fassbender goes - well, I actually thought he was made up to resemble Toby Stephens a bit...maybe it was the hair? Anyway...I *think* I'm going to end up loving him, but I'm not quite there yet either. Something about his voice...it hasn't quite "grabbed" me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look rather good, doesn't it? :)

    Agreed - Wasikowska looks like she's got the part down to a tee. Fassbender - I agree, I get some Stephens vibes too, but in a "yeah but c'mon, you're not Toby Stephens so don't even try it" way. I'm not sure, I'm not entirely grabbed yet either but like you say, Ruth, come March, I'm probably going to end up loving him too. I mean, while I didn't care much for William Hurt as Rochester, he still played Mr. Rochester, and that's gotta count for something, surely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember correctly from reading, Jane's hair looks the same in every film because in the book Jane describes rather explicitly how she styles her hair. So they all do that to be true to how she describes her own style in the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point. Didn't really think about that when I wrote the post originally. Thanks for clarifying! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! All comments are read (usually within 24 hours) and responded to whenever I can, but not necessarily straight away. Spam comments stop in the moderation queue. Be as snarky as you like, but I give as good as I get, and you probably need a hug. Cheerio! :)

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV