Jane Eyre audiobook update

While I was cat-sitting the other day (her owned ones are on their honeymoon) and waiting for li'l miss puddytat to come back in, I decided to read some "Jane Eyre" aloud to myself. It was the chapter when she first meets Rochester at Thornfield, i.e. the "yes, you do play a little" bit. And from there, I think it's fair to say that the project of recording Jane Eyre as an audio book has been shelved.

I got some great and very detailed feedback from a friend through Facebook, which I'll definitely use in future attempts, but I think it'll have to be something a bit easier than JE. The book is incredibly long, uses a lot of words which are difficult even for native English speakers (and I'm not one of those, as it happens) not just to understand, but for me, they're difficult to pronounce. That's okay, though, but the drawn-out prose does bore me... and, which is a very big contributing factor, I'd have to be speaking French.

I'd forgotten about that. (Gasp!) While I understand some of the easier phrases in the book, and my pronounciation is probably not too bad, it's still... well, French was never my favourite subject in school, and I only studied it between 1996 and 1998. That was a while ago now! I mean, I can't see myself attempting to record "Wuthering Heights" any time soon because of the parts written in dialect - there's a little bit of that in JE too, but more French.

So that's a no.

I did try to read it a bit more slowly, though. Practice makes perfect, they say.

Meh, maybe I will try Jane Austen instead. But umm, I think I'll do a bit of practice reading first to see how I get on before I take out the mic.

Not for a while yet, though. Like I mentioned earlier, we're moving next week. Funnily enough, the loft has actually been insulated to be soundproof, as it's been used as a bit of a home studio. We'll also have our own air raid shelter, and it'll have sensible stuff in it, like a lawnmower. It will not be turned into a shrine to RA, if that's what you thought. :P (That's what the garden shed's for! ;D)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You know you're a Richard Armitage fan when ...

The Quest to read everything Jane Eyre

Richard Armitage will never be himself on TV